Monday, August 07, 2006
  Northern Virginia Weather
Something my wife & I have both noticed about this area is the lightning and thunder. Now, we had some pretty heavy thunderstorms back in Texas and Louisiana but nothing to match these. I think we've yet to see a "mild" thundershower. When we get them they are full force. The volume and intensity is like nothing I've seen, at least not on such a consistent basis. It doesn't bother me too much since I've never really been very afraid of nature's light shows (wind and flooding is a little more disconcerting) but it tends to wake the kids up when it happens at 4 AM.

Which brings me to the one drawback I've found to using the DC area's mass transit system. Since my bus stop is about 1/2 mile from my front door I got pretty well drenched walking this morning. The good thing was I had my Gortex jacket and pants which kept the rain off. The bad thing it was warm enough that I started to create my own rain inside the suit. Worse was when I found out that my gym bag is not water resistant so I got to work out in shorts and shirt with a few wet spots.

But, if the occasional drenching at the hands of Mother Nature is the biggest complaint I've got about Virginia then life is still pretty darn good.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home


Keeping the Faith

My Photo
Name:
Location: alexandria, Virginia, United States

Retired from the US Air Force after more than 20 years of service. Now working as a contractor for various government agencies.

E-mail RightFace!

Blogs I Read
  • - In My Right Mind
  • - From Behind the Badge
  • - Championable
  • - The Dawn Patrol
  • - The BoBo Files
  • - Breakfast At Tiffany's
  • - Not Fainthearted
  • - ABBAGirl 74
  • - RennRatt
  • - From My Position - Capt. Chuck Z.
  • - Michael Yon - Dispatches from the Front
  • - DadManly
  • - BlackFive
  • - Captain's Quarters
  • LINKS
  • National Review
  • Weekly Standard
  • TownHall
  • Blue Eagle Columnist Round-Up
  • Max Boot, Council on Foreign Relations

  • PREVIOUS POSTS
    ARCHIVES